Former home affairs minister Malusi Gigaba’s comments on his appearance before the state capture inquiry has drawn mixed reactions online.
The controversial former minister announced on Thursday that he will testify at the inquiry in March, and intends to lawyer up.
Gigaba said while the legal fees will undoubtedly cost him an arm and a leg, he will appear, even it if it costs him his home.
He said deputy chief justice Raymond Zondo summoned him to appear before the inquiry from March 8 to 12, “presumably to help him separate fact from fiction”.
“But his secretariat has, so far, ignored my requests to cross-examine those who’ve told unsubstantiated fabrications and self-serving distortions about me,” said Gigaba.
Gigaba said he was shunned by the state after he requested that it pay his legal fees in preparation for his appearance before the inquiry.
“The state I was serving, the state which is spending R1bn on this commission, is refusing to pay the R1m my lawyers need to help me prepare for my appearance.
‘I’ll, however, be appearing before His Lordship. This notwithstanding. Even if it costs me my home,” Gigaba said.